Stay connected, stay informed, and remain healthy with the Apple Watch Series 4. This Apple Watch features a 44mm curved watch face with an LTPO OLED Retina display and digital crown. The crown is how you navigate through watchOS 5 to view your apps and content. The crown has haptic feedback, giving each turn a mechanical click-like feel, and an integrated titanium electrode lets you use the ECG app. On the back, the Apple Watch features an optical heart sensor to quickly check your heart rate, and an electric heart sensor that works with the crown to generate an ECG (electrocardiogram).
Generating your own ECG to save and share with your doctor is just one example of how the Apple Watch is designed to help you monitor your health. It can also detect and monitor your workouts, giving you essential metrics to help you reach your goals. It’s water-resistant up to 164′, so you can record laps on a track or in the pool. Even when not working out, the Apple Watch utilizes three activity rings to motivate you to keep moving throughout your day.
You can help stay motivated during workouts by streaming your favorite music, podcasts, or invite a friend to a seven-day challenge. In a competition, you’ll share your activity and compete for bragging rights and digital medals. Notifications of your friend’s progress act like a personal trainer to keep you going.
The Apple Watch Series 4 stays connected to the outside world via Wi-Fi or a wireless Bluetooth connection to your iPhone. With cellular support, you can leave the phone at home and do it all through your Apple Watch. No matter how you connect, you can use it to monitor text messages, interact with Siri, use the built-in GPS to navigate around town, or simply make calls handsfree with the integrated speaker and microphone.
- Cellular Carrier Support
- Connecting the Apple Watch Series 4 to a cellular network requires that it share the same carrier as your iPhone. Please note that some carriers may support the iPhone, but not the Apple Watch. Please confirm with your carrier that it supports Apple Watch on their network. Also note that cellular connectivity of the Apple Watch is setup independently of your iPhone. For any other questions regarding cellular functionality in regards to the Apple Watch, please contact your cellular provider.
- Generate an ECG Anytime, Anywhere
- The built-in titanium electrode in the digital crown and the sapphire crystal electronic heart sensor on the back of the Apple Watch gives you the ability to record your own ECG, or electrocardiogram. It’s similar to a single-lead electrocardiogram and takes only 30 seconds to create. Just touch the digital crown and wait for the Apple Watch to generate your ECG waveform.
The ECG app is meant to help you detect whether you’re heart’s beating at a normal sinus rhythm, or if your rhythm shows signs of irregularity, or atrial fibrillation. Your ECGs are stored in the Health app on your iPhone and you can share them with your doctor.
- Heart Rate Sensor
- The optical heart sensor on the back of the Apple Watch is designed to measure and record your heart rate. Irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias), high heart rates, and low heart rates, can all be indicators of a possible underlying problem. The Apple Watch is engineered to monitor this reading and alert you to any irregularities.
- Fall Detection
- The Apple Watch Series 4 features an updated accelerometer and gyroscope that can detect whether you’ve fallen. If a fall occurs, the Apple Watch delivers an on-screen prompt where you can swipe to have it call emergency services or dismiss it. After 60 seconds of unresponsiveness, the Apple Watch will place the call automatically and send a message to your emergency contacts.
- Emergency SOS
- Emergency SOS allows you to quickly get help. It calls 911, notifies your emergency contacts, sends your current location, and displays your Medical ID badge on the screen for emergency personnel.
- You can customize your watch face with multiple complications, which are little icons that are designed to activate apps or provide information. The Series 4 infograph watch face can display up to eight complications, including complications with curved progress bars and gauges.
- Activity Rings
- Three activity rings on the Apple Watch Series 4 are designed to help you measure all of the ways you move throughout the day. As you move, each ring begins to close, giving you additional motivation to close your rings and increase mobility.
Move: The Move ring tracks the active calories you burn. Active calories are the ones you burn through all kinds of movement, from taking the stairs at work to playing with the kids.
Exercise: The Exercise ring shows you how many minutes of brisk activity you’ve done, whether you’re working out or just moving at a fast pace.
Stand: Sitting too much has the potential to contribute to health problems over time. This ring is designed to keep track of the amount of times you stand throughout the day.
- Workout App
- With the Workout app, the Apple Watch Series 4 lets you track your workout progress, set individual goals, and measure your calorie burn. For runners, a cadence metric lets you see your steps per minute, and rolling miles allows you to see your split for the preceding mile at any time.
- Automatic Workout Detection
- If you start a workout, sensors within the Apple Watch will prompt you to start the Workout app. It will even give you credit for the exercise you’ve already started. It will also remind you to end your workout.
- Apple Pay
- Charge purchases to your credit or debit card simply by activating Apple Pay and holding your watch to a compatible checkout reader. You can also send or receive Apple Pay Cash via the Messages app. No matter how you use it, Apple Pay is designed to keep your financial information completely private and secure.
- Communicate with other friends that own Apple Watches by using them like walkie-talkies. Just press to talk and let go to listen.
- Breathe App and Watch Face
- With the Series 4, the Breathe app is available as a watch face, in either Classic, Focus, or Calm. It is designed to keep you centered by taking you through a series of calming breaths.
- Additional Features
- Up to 18 hours of battery life
Ability to install new apps and watch faces
After swimming, turn the digital crown to eject water from the speaker with a burst of sound